by Ken Katz
Last year, Radbird served as the official stylist for a “Portrait Slam” sponsored by Tamron lenses at the Oakland Aviation Museum and they are even more excited this year to be invited for an encore at a cyberpunk inspired slam on Saturday, May 20 on the USS Hornet in Alameda. Up to 30 models and 30 photographers will have the opportunity to network and shoot together in a creative environment with an iconic US Naval vessel as the background. General tickets, which are $40, are available at this link. Models attending their first slam can save 25% by entering the Coupon Code “first” when checking out.
In honor of Walden Pond Books 50th Anniversary, we’re pleased to share some photos that Paul Curatolo posted on Facebook this past week. That’s Paul and Marshall posing in front of the shop in 1974, a year after they opened. Next is a 1988 photo of Marshall celebrating a legal victory over Walden Books which unsuccessfully sued him for copyright infringement. The third photo was taken in 2020 in the midst of the quarantine and the last image is of Marshall up in Humboldt County where, in his early nineties, he is still working — researching and pricing used books. We’re equally pleased to report that Walden Pond is hosting a book signing on May 2 for Deep Oakland, Andrew Alden’s about-to-be published book about Oakland’s geologic history followed by another book-signing at the Farmers Market on May 20. Look for more details in the May News.
News in brief:
- 8 AM Fashion is offering a 10% discount on alterations for the month of April. Meaza is also getting lots of compliments for her latest design — coats fashioned from fabric scraps that she also uses for hand-made ties.
- Radbird has been significantly expanding their inventory which now includes Nature World t-shirts and sweat pants which Lori’s husband, Jason is displaying.
- If you’re inclined to making a bold fashion statement, check out the wonderful geometric fabrics now available at Alyce on Grand.
More news in brief:
- Urban Furniture is hosting an artist reception for a local jewelry designer on April 27 from 6-8pm.
- Two Two at 3221 Grand (next door to Radbird) has scheduled an incense-making workshop for late May. Check their website and instagram account for details and updates of additional events.
- Alkali Rye will be offering free tastings of Barr Hill Spirits from Noon – 3pm on April 22.
- Ikaros Greek restaurant is planning a special menu for Easter and also an ongoing series of also special “Date Night” prix fixe menus. Watch their website for details.
Ken Katz founded the Splash Pad Neighborhood Forum in late 1999 and, in his role as Chair, coordinated the community efforts to lobby for a new park and subsequently served as a liaison to the City of Oakland and to Walter Hood’s office during the planning process. The first Splash Pad Newsletters were emailed beginning circa 2006. Currently, he acts as a contributor to—and publisher of—the monthly Splash Pad News. Keila Diehl proofreads all the copy, filters content as needed, and makes everyone involved look good.