by Ken Katz – If you currently do a Google search for Cycle Sports, a notification pops up saying that it’s temporarily closed and now owned by Trek Bicycles. Yesterday afternoon, when we happened upon the closed sign surrounded by multiple display fixtures, wood pallets and piles of cardboard, we were initially dismayed to learn that the owner, Thierry Arias had sold his business after what must have been three decades on the avenue beginning with the original location at 3241 Grand. After being informed that all the current employees would be remaining on staff and that Thierry will still be involved — if only as the landlord, we felt more comfortable about the transition. Even more so, after skimming a Bike Portland article that said this about the sale to Trek of a major chain of bike shops … CONTINUE READING
Lakeshore BID – October 2022 Highlights
by Kira Pascoe – October is here, and Lakeshore is ready! We have our Halloween Parade on 10/29, and businesses are already decorating and carrying spooky Halloween goods. The days are getting shorter, but there are several distinct Happy Hours for everything from specialty cocktails to specialty coffee that you can visit to relax at the end of the day. Read Oakland Pride month, Finds on Lakeshore and Urban Indigo closing and anniversaries, and more! October is here, and Lakeshore is ready! We have our Halloween Parade on 10/29, and businesses are already decorating and carrying spooky Halloween goods. The days are getting shorter, but there are several distinct Happy Hours for everything from specialty cocktails to specialty coffee that you can visit to relax at the end of the day. Read Oakland Pride month, Finds on Lakeshore and Urban Indigo closing and anniversaries, and more. CONTINUE READING
Will History Repeat Itself?
by Ken Katz – The 580 freeway completed in the early 1960s was so well landscaped that Parade magazine named it the “Most Beautiful Urban Highway in the USA.” One of its major features was the addition of a small triangular park (separated from the freeway by Lake Park Way) with a pond as its centerpiece and water jets that splashed into the concrete-lined bottom. Hence, it was dubbed “Splash Pad Park.” Although it may have been beautiful, it was never intended to be used and, aside from a homeless individual who camped out there for several years, it wasn’t. Over time, the fountain became inoperative and the landscape overgrown. Forty years later, in October 2003, a new iteration of the park designed by Walter Hood was dedicated with a design very specifically focused on usability. Some twenty years later, we now have another opportunity to turn a Caltrans project … CONTINUE READING
The 11th Annual Autumn Lights Festival Lights the Night
by Samee Roberts – Art, nature, and urban gardening enthusiasts from all over the region will flock to Oakland’s Lake Merritt to immerse themselves in the 11th Annual Autumn Lights Festival, a one-of-a-kind interactive art experience that is always the talk of the town. Following last year’s sold-out in-person return, the wildly popular festival takes place over three spectacular nights October 13-15, 2022. Prepare to be dazzled, mesmerized, and amazed at this magical benefit for the non-profit Friends of the Gardens at Lake Merritt. Guests will be treated to 60+ illuminated art displays – meticulously crafted by a diverse range of gifted Bay Area artists. The experience is both visceral and emotive as displays ranging from petite lanterns to giant lotus blossoms sparkle, beam, and billow throughout Oakland’s beloved seven-acre municipal gardens, recently named among… CONTINUE READING
- Delightful Foods – Delightful foods isa natural foods bakery specializing in 19 favors of pies available at one time. They also do vegan cookies, gluten-free pies, and hibiscus/ginger teas. They are a family business and believe in baking products with few ingredients but a great taste. They also strive to make sure customers are welcomed with a beautiful setup and excellent customer service.
- Full Belly Bakery – Founded by Oakland native, Eva Allen. Full Belly is a made-from scratch bakery that specializes in flavor over sweetness. We believe dessert doesn’t have to be something that is tolerated and kills your sweet tooth, we’re confident you’ll find our cakes bursting with flavor and the perfect centerpiece for your next celebration.
- Mimbo Kitchen – Mimbo Kitchen is rooted from concepts of Cameroonian roadside eateries. A community meeting space, bringing folks together through food, music, and mimbo. CONTINUE READING
Odds & Ends
*This is the third straight month that we’ve gone down the rabbit-hole created by “Howard” — the mentally ill, homeless individual who’s chiefly responsible for Urban Indigo closing.
*More about other bad actors and why inmates determined to be incompetent are languishing in jail.
*And on a happier note: who remembers See’s Candies, Charlie’s Smoke Shop and the Topless bar? CONTINUE READING
October 2022 Calendar
by Sheila McCormick
This month’s top picks:
- October 12, Past, Present & Future of Food Cooperatives in the SF Bay Area including Arizmendi
- October 14, Lakeside Chat #23: The River Otter Ecology Project
- October 19, BART at 50 years.
For the full calendar, please click on this link.
October 2022 Calendar of the Month